Malaria Social and Behaviour Change during COVID-19 Case Study: The Mobile Classroom, Nigeria
The COVID-19 pandemic has wreaked havoc on malaria control and elimination efforts. Modeling predictions suggested the annual malaria death toll in sub-Saharan Africa could double because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The World Health Organization (WHO) urged countries not to scale back their planned malaria prevention, diagnostic, and treatment activities during the COVID-19 pandemic or the gains made in saving lives from malaria and other diseases over the past 20 years may be lost.
Malaria SBC programs had to think afresh and re-strategize to tackle new limitations to reach audiences and convince them to change their behaviors to prevent and manage malaria. Malaria SBC workers increased their efforts while also closely following COVID-19 guidelines.
This case study from Nigeria showcases the ability to innovate and build the SBC capacity of field staff with limited resources. It demonstrates that even simple technologies like interactive voice response can provide practical solutions during a crisis.
- Malaria Social and Behaviour Change during COVID-19 Case Study: Click, Share, Engage
- Creating Mobile Health Solutions for Behaviour Change: A Study of Eight Services in the mNutrition Initiative Portfolio
- Interactive Voice Response and Radio for Peacebuilding: A Macro View of the Literature and Experiences from the Field
- Malaria Social and Behaviour Change Program Guidance in the Context of COVID-19 Pandemic
- Health-protective Behaviour, Social Media Usage and Conspiracy Belief during the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency
- Malaria Social and Behaviour Change during the COVID-19 Pandemic
- How to Support Displaced Populations' Mental Health during Lockdown
- Gender-based Violence Prevention, Risk Mitigation and Response during COVID-19
- Measures to Ensure the Continuity of the Response to Malaria in the Americas during the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Practice Guide: Behaviour Change Communication during Crisis
- Malaria Social and Behaviour Change during COVID-19 Case Study: The Call of the Trumpet, Ethiopia
- Malaria Interactive Voice Response Curriculum and User Guide- Nigeria
- COVID-19 Interactive Voice Response Audio and Scripts
- Malaria Social and Behaviour Change during COVID-19 Case Study: Inside the Jungle, Cambodia
- Messages for Interactive Voice Response, Nigeria
July 15, 2021