Providing Reproductive Health Services to Young Married Women and First-time Parents in West Africa
Young married women and first-time parents (FTPs) face a unique set of challenges to living healthy sexual and reproductive lives. This training aims to give health care providers the knowledge and skills they need to meet the needs of these groups. It is designed for use in francophone West Africa, where a significant proportion of adolescent girls aged 15–19 and young women aged 20–24 are married or living in union, but it can easily be adapted for other settings.
This is a one-day training intended for facility-based health care providers (e.g., doctors, nurses, midwives) who have already received training in adolescent and youth sexual and reproductive health (AYSRH). Alternatively, it could be integrated into a broader AYSRH training.
The module covers topics including healthy timing and spacing of pregnancy (HTSP), nonjudgmental counseling for young married women and FTPs, and the particular challenges and pressures concerning childbearing faced by young married women and FTPs. The training consists of trainer presentations (slides included) and participatory small and large group activities.
- Training Tools: Providing Family Planning and Reproductive Health to Young Married Women and First-Time Parents in West Africa
- Meeting the Sexual and Reproductive Health Needs of Young Married Women and First-time Parents Toolkit
- Improving Interpersonal Communication Between Health Care Providers and Clients
- Small Group Facilitation for Young Married Women and First-time Parents in West Africa: Training for Facilitators
- Scaling-Up First-Time and Young Parent Access to Postpartum Family Planning: Could Small Shifts Change the Game?
- Factors Impacting Use of Health Services by First-time/Young parents: A Formative Research Toolkit
- “Because my Husband and I Have Never Had a Baby Before…” Results and Lessons from Interventions with First-Time Parents in Madagascar, Mozambique, and Nigeria
- Evidence to Action (E2A) Project's First-Time Parent Framework
- Beyond the ABCs of FTPs: A Deep Dive into Emerging Considerations for First Time Parent Programs
- Lessons Learned from an Integrated Approach for Reaching First-time Young Parents in Nigeria
- Aperçus clés des programmes en faveur des parents pour la première fois
- Our First Baby: Health Education for Adolescents Who are Pregnant or First-Time Parents
- Interventions to Reach Married Adolescents for Increased Contraceptive Use in Niger
- Reaching Young Married Women & First-Time Parents for Healthy Timing and Spacing of Pregnancies
- REAL Fathers Initiative
March 25, 2019