Breakthrough ACTION COVID-19 Ethiopia
Due to the outbreak of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in December 2019, the World Health Organization (WHO) had prioritized Ethiopia, among 13 African countries, as the most vulnerable countries for importation of COVID-19. A recent Lancet publication reiterated this by describing Ethiopia as a highly vulnerable country with substantially larger population potential exposed yet with moderate capacity to contain the spread of the infection.
Risk Communication and Community Engagement (RCCE) is an essential component of health emergency readiness and response activities. The Ethiopia Public Health Institute (EPHI) has been proactively working on emergency readiness and response activities on COVID-19 since late January 2020. The Emergency Operation Center (EOC), housed in EPHI and usually activated during public health emergencies in the country, started its work by establishing a technical working group (TWG) on RCCE comprised of different stakeholders and health development partners.
Breakthrough ACTION Ethiopia is working closely with EPHI on COVID-19. To date, efforts have included technical assistance, training, tool development, and risk communication materials design, and logistical support to EPHI. The scope also includes focused support to the RCCE TWG, coordination on preparedness and response activities among several implementing partners, and training for Ethiopian Airlines flight and ground crew, as well as urban health extension workers and religious leaders.
Thus far, the project has produced the following materials - this page will be updated as new materials are produced.
- PSAs for Amhara, Central, Oromia, SNNPR and Tigray:
- Prevention methods
- Avoiding panic
- Social distancing
- Key considerations: Quarantine in the Context of COVID-19
- Technical Brief: Handwashing with Soap: A Key Part of the COVID-19 Response
- Conseils sur le changement social et de comportement pour la planification familiale pendant le COVID-19
- Guidance on Social and Behavior Change for Family Planning During COVID-19
- Actions to Support Media, Enhance Access to Information, and Leverage Digital Technologies in the Fight Against the Pandemic
- Technical Brief: Disrupting COVID-19 Stigma
- Message Toolkit Version 1- Risk Communication for COVID-19
- Message Toolkit (Version 2)- Risk Communication for COVID-19
- Technical Brief: COVID-19 Rumor Tracking Guidance for Field Teams
- Internews COVID-19 Microsite