Example of a Rumor/Misinformation Tracking Approach
This document offers guidance on creating a rumor/misinformation tracking system.
The initial steps involve the following:
1. Key informants receive training in detecting and recording rumors/misinformation
2. Key informants hear and recognize a reportable rumor/misinformation
3. Key informants send a WhatsUp message summarizing the message
4. Staff records the message in a database using a structured questionnaire
5. Staff codes messages according to a code book
6. Staff summarize the results using a structured template
7. Reports are reviewed frequently by focal points and forwarded to medical or surveillance experts and communication leads (standard algorithm)
8. Questions and disinformation synthesized by the focal points, who examine the coded raw data, the visuals with digital summaries of the codes, and extract the themes.
9. The focal points will also listen to a selection of original messages or read the original text and coding to validate.
10. A summary of the themes will be communicated to the coordination body for inclusion in the message guides and other community engagement activities.
- Choosing Communication Channels
- Gendered Implications of COVID-19 Outbreaks in Development and Humanitarian Settings
- Example of a Rumor Log Tool
- Example of a Rumor Categorization Tool
- New Coronavirus Risk Communication and Community Engagement Strategy
- Mental Health and Psychosocial Support for Staff, Volunteers and Communities in an Outbreak of Novel Coronavirus
- Example Job Description Risk Communication and Community Engagement Advisor
- Scaling up COVID 19 Outbreak Readiness and Response Operations in Humanitarian Situations
- Messaging Guidelines- Risk Communication/Community Engagement (RCCE) Considerations for Covid-19
- Pretesting Messages and Materials
- Your Child's Health Depends on You
- Elements of Family Planning Success Toolkit
- Real-Time Tracking of COVID-19 Rumors Using Community Based Methods in Côte d’Ivoire
- Kenya National Communication and Community Engagement Strategy for Coronavirus
- Transmedia: Scripting, Production, and Effect on Ideation
March 29, 2020