Innovation Brief: Breaking Down Barriers to Family Planning Access by Engaging Agents of Change
Social and behavior change (SBC) approaches target multiple levels of this ecosystem and are thus a pivotal part of family planning (FP) programming – impacting the interpersonal relationships, community structures, and social norms that guide individual behavior. Evidence based SBC interventions can increase knowledge of FP, shift attitudes and norms, and influence behaviors around contraceptive use.
One component of Transform/PHARE was to provide information and encourage dialogue with key gatekeepers who play a role in influencing individual FP decision making. This technical brief provides country examples, best practices, and lessons for engaging key secondary audiences and influencing social norms toward the broader aim of increasing knowledge and informed demand for voluntary FP.
This brief is applicable to other implementing organizations, donors, and ministries of health that are implementing SBC programs for FP.
- Innovation Brief: Engaging Influencers and Non-Traditional Actors in Participatory Processes for Family Planning Program Design
- Innovation Brief: Translating Audience Segmentation Data into Family Planning Programmatic Action
- Innovation Brief: Identifying Power Dynamics Among Target Audiences and Influencers in the Project Design Process
- Birth Spacing and Family Welfare Sermons
- Provider Behavior Change Implementation Kit
- Ecological Models
- Improving Interpersonal Communication Between Health Care Providers and Clients
- Think BIG tool: Prioritizing and Integrating Behaviors
- Social Marketing: Leveraging the Private Sector to Improve Contraceptive Access, Choice, and Use
- Essential Considerations for Engaging Men and Boys for Improved Family Planning Outcomes
- Innovation Brief: Model Provider Research Approach to Identify Barriers and Facilitators to High Quality Family Planning Services
- Innovation Brief: Leveraging Technology to Develop and Test Family Planning Mass Media Campaigns in Niger and Cote D’Ivoire
- Innovation Brief: Insights from Model Providers in Cote d'Ivoire to Strengthen Voluntary Family Planning Service Delivery
- Innovation Brief: The Importance of Segmentation and Tailoring Messages to Constructively Engage Men and Boys in Voluntary Family Planning
- Innovation Brief: Applying the Human-Centered Design Approach
March 1, 2021