Communicating Risk in Public Health Emergencies
The recommendations in these guidelines provide overarching, evidence-based guidance on how risk communication should be practiced in an emergency. The recommendations also guide countries on building capacity for communicating risk during health emergencies.
The guidelines aim to provide WHO Member States, partners and stakeholders involved in emergency preparedness and response with evidence-based, up-to-date, systems-focused guidance on:
- Approaches for building trust and engaging with communities and affected populations
- Approaches for integrating risk communication into existing national and local emergency preparedness and response structures, including building capacity for risk communication as required of all WHO Member States by the International Health Regulations (2005)
- ERC practice – from strategizing, planning, coordinating, messaging, channeling different methods and approaches of communication and engagement, to monitoring and evaluation – based on a systematic assessment of the evidence on what worked and what did not work during recent emergencies.
This manual was developed for policy- and decision-makers responsible for managing emergencies, particularly the public health aspects of emergencies, and practitioners responsible for risk communication before, during and after health emergencies. Other groups expected to use these guidelines are: frontline responders; local, national and international development partners; civil society; the private sector; and all organizations, private and public, involved in emergency preparedness and response.
- CERC Manual for Emergency Risk Commuication
- The SBCC Emergency Helix
- COMBI Toolkit for Behavioural and Social Communication in Outbreak Response
- A Field Guide to Designing a Health Communication Strategy
- Risk Communication and Community Engagement for Zika Virus Prevention and Control
- JHU/CCP Pathways Models
- Designing and Implementing Integrated Approaches to Population, Health and Environment (PHE): Training Materials
- Guide de promotion des produits et services de santé sexuelle et reproductive pour les hommes
- Guide for Promoting Sexual and Reproductive Health Products and Services for Men
- Preventing HIV/AIDS among Adolescents through Integrated Communication Programming [Manual]
March 25, 2019