Breaking Down Barriers to Family Planning Access by Engaging Agents of Change
Social and behavior change (SBC) approaches target multiple levels of this ecosystem and are thus a pivotal part of family planning (FP) programming – impacting the interpersonal relationships, community structures, and social norms that guide individual behavior. Evidence based SBC interventions can increase knowledge of FP, shift attitudes and norms, and influence behaviors around contraceptive use.
One component of Transform/PHARE was to provide information and encourage dialogue with key gatekeepers who play a role in influencing individual FP decision making. This technical brief provides country examples, best practices, and lessons for engaging key secondary audiences and influencing social norms toward the broader aim of increasing knowledge and informed demand for voluntary FP.
This brief is applicable to other implementing organizations, donors, and ministries of health that are implementing SBC programs for FP.
- Engaging Influencers and Non-Traditional Actors in Participatory Processes for Family Planning Program Design
- Translating Audience Segmentation Data into Family Planning Programmatic Action
- Identifying Power Dynamics Among Target Audiences and Influencers in the Project Design Process
- Birth Spacing and Family Welfare Sermons
- Improving Interpersonal Communication Between Health Care Providers and Clients
- Social Marketing: Leveraging the Private Sector to Improve Contraceptive Access, Choice, and Use
- Provider Behavior Change Implementation Kit
- Think BIG tool: Prioritizing and Integrating Behaviors
- Essential Considerations for Engaging Men and Boys for Improved Family Planning Outcomes
- Community Group Engagement: Changing Norms to Improve Sexual and Reproductive Health
- Model Provider Research Approach to Identify Barriers and Facilitators to High Quality Family Planning Services
- Leveraging Technology to Develop and Test Family Planning Mass Media Campaigns in Niger and Cote D’Ivoire
- Insights from Model Providers in Cote d'Ivoire to Strengthen Voluntary Family Planning Service Delivery
- Transform/PHARE activités brise-glace pour atelier de communication- Workshop Ice-breaker Activities
- The Importance of Segmentation and Tailoring Messages to Constructively Engage Men and Boys in Voluntary Family Planning
October 27, 2020