Taking a Social Change Intervention to Scale: Learnings from Tékponon Jikuagou in Benin
This brief explains that theTékponon Jikuagou project in Benin is a low-cost package of activities that relies on existing social networks to diffuse new ideas in support of family planning. It works with communities’ own resources, is easily added to existing development projects and portfolios, and is beneficial to both participating communities and implementing agencies.
In the Benin context, where unmet need was high and social barriers prevented family planning use, the package greatly increased the odds that women and men met their family planning needs.
Regarding Tékponon Jikuagou‘s scalability: the attributes that allow the approach to be taken to scale while maintaining effectiveness, quality, and fidelity to core principles. Never designed to be a stand-alone project, the package’s most viable platform for scaling is assimilation into existing projects.
- “Because my Husband and I Have Never Had a Baby Before…” Results and Lessons from Interventions with First-Time Parents in Madagascar, Mozambique, and Nigeria
- How-To Guide for a Social Network Diffusion Intervention to Overcome Social Barriers to Family Planning
- Social Behavior Change Programming for Public Health Emergencies: Lessons Learned from the USAID Zika Response in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Gender Integration in Social and Behavior Change: What Does it Take
- The Added Value of Costing Social and Behavior Change Interventions
- Promoting Quality Malaria Medicines Through SBCC: An Implementation Kit
- Strengthening the USAID Zika Response: Experiences from the Zika Social and Behavior Change Working Group
- Early Impacts of the COVID-19 Pandemic: Findings from the 2020 Guttmacher Survey of Reproductive Health Experiences
- Alma Ata Declaration, 1978
- Report of the Systematic Review on the Effect of Household Crowding on Health
- Effects of a Social Network Diffusion Intervention on Key Family Planning Indicators- Impacts d’une Intervention de Diffusion via les Réseaux Sociaux sur les Indicateurs Clés de la Planification Familiale
- Women’s Social Networks, Family Planning Use and Unmet Need: Formative Research Findings from Terikunda Jékulu
- Overcoming Social Barriers to Family Planning Use: Harnessing Community Networks to Address Unmet Need
- Implementing the Social Network Diffusion Package: Costing Exercise Report
- Tékponon Jikuagou Pilot Results