Revitalizing Underutilized Family Planning Methods Using Communications and Community Engagement to Stimulate Demand for the IUD in Guinea
In 2004, the ACQUIRE Project, with funding from the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and in partnership with the Guinea Ministry of Health (MOH), implemented a program to increase access to and awareness of long acting and permanent contraceptive methods (LAPMs), focusing on the IUD. The purpose of the program was to increase the MOH’s capacity to provide LAPM services.
Specific communications objectives of the demand creation strategy included the following:
1. Increase awareness of and knowledge about the IUD and its key benefits for women who wish to space their next pregnancy.
2. Address myths and misconceptions related to the IUD.
3. Increase awareness of facilities offering IUDs.
4. Promote male engagement in FP.
5. Direct potential clients to learn more information about the IUD from their health care provider.
In March 2006, ACQUIRE convened a two-day meeting of religious leaders in Siguiri, in collaboration with the League of Islamic Affairs and the Siguiri district health officials. Participants included four national-level members of the League of Islamic Affairs, three representatives of the Kankan Region, two representatives from every subdistrict in Siguiri, and 36 members of the Islamic Women’s Association of Siguiri. The primary objective of the meeting was to garner their leadership support for FP, including LAPMs such as the IUD. This dialogue aimed to create an enabling environment to facilitate information-sharing about the IUD with married couples. The meeting received coverage on the local radio. Participants received the IUD brochure at the meeting as an additional information resource.
ACQUIRE’s integrated SDA approach significantly increased demand for IUD services at participating facilities.
- Template for Stakeholder Engagement Plan
- Faith-Based Engagement in Family Planning
- Stakeholder Interview Script
- The Facilitation Primer
- Stakeholder Analysis Matrix
- FRP Guide to Stakeholder Engagement
- Engaging Faith Leaders in Family Planning
- Birth Spacing and Family Welfare Sermons
- Love, Children and Family Planning: Seven Discussion Guides for Christian Small Groups
- Crisis and Outbreak Communication Pandemic Flu and Other Disasters