Lessons Learned about the Introduction of Sayana Press in Madagascar
This study details the impact of the introduction of Sayana Press, an injectable contraceptive, in Madagascar. The study began in 2015.
Within the project, Sayana Press was made available in 22 regions through 5 Marie Stopes International (MSI) channels. These were; MSI’s centres, social franchised providers, MS Ladies, MSI trained public health facilities, and rural community health workers.
During the project 109,316 units of Sayana Press were administered to clients and 1,204 providers were trained in Sayana press administration. The study took place from May to September 2017 and surveyed 514 clients and 87 providers. The study was a quantitative survey focusing on experience and perceptions of clients and providers with Sayana Press and self-injection.
The study identified that while the majority of providers and clients were confident with Sayana Press through provider administration, 80% of both providers and clients did not support the idea of self-injection. This was primarily due to the belief that it should only be administered by medical professionals.
- Who Self-Cares Wins
- Self-Care: Better Daily Health for Individuals and Societies
- WHO Consolidated Guideline on Self-care Interventions for Health: Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights
- Self-Care: A Cost Effective Solution for Maternal, Newborn & Child Health for All
- Advocacy Roadmap- Igniting a Self-Care Movement for Sexual and Reproductive Health
- Acceleration of Self-Care in the Time of COVID-19
- Home-Based Care Reference Guide for COVID-19
- “Because my Husband and I Have Never Had a Baby Before…” Results and Lessons from Interventions with First-Time Parents in Madagascar, Mozambique, and Nigeria
- Going Online to Accelerate the Impact of HIV Programs
- Self-Care Quality of Care Framework
- Is Contraceptive Self-injection Cost-effective Compared to Contraceptive Injections from Facility-Based health Workers? Evidence from Uganda
- Self-Care in Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights: A New Frontier in Healthcare
- Costs and Cost-effectiveness of Subcutaneous DMPA through Different Delivery Channels: What the Evidence Tells Us
- Journey to DMPA-SC in the Sahel
- 7 Acts of Self-care You Can Practice during a Winter Lockdown
September 4, 2020