HIV Self-Test Kits in Barber Shops: Cote d'Ivoire
This case study describes a pilot project in Cote d'Ivoire which promotes HIV self-testing via barbershops. Preliminary human-centered-based research resulted in a finding that barbershops were a key gathering point for men in Côte D’Ivoire. The HIV self testing promotions were also communicated via religious leaders and social media.
The aim was to convince men to undertake an online self-assessment tool that helps to determine their level of risk for contracting HIV. Those who are assessed as high risk were offered a self-testing kit. The kit can be accessed in a variety of ways, through a local pharmacy or health center or delivered by a peer navigator who can answer any questions and walk them though the process.
Deployed by local NGOs, peer navigators were trained to provide psychological and social support before, during and after HIV testing and the initiation of treatment. There were also tools to support men through the process of taking the test, including written instructions, online videos, and access to an HIV hotline, where workers were trained in how to take a self-test, interpret the results and support men who receive a positive result into beginning treatment.
More HCD resources
- SBCC for Malaria in Pregnancy: Strategy Development Guidance
- Promoting Quality Malaria Medicines Through SBCC: An Implementation Kit
- Plan Stratégique National de Plaidoyer en matière de lutte contre le Paludisme (PSNPP) en Côte d'Ivoire 2018-2023
- Guide des Messages pour la Lutte Contre le Paludisme en Cote d'Ivoire
- Birth Spacing and Family Welfare Sermons
- Lever les Tabous: La sexualité et les approches promouvant l’égalité des genres pour mettre fin aux unions et aux mariages d’enfants, précoces et forcés
- Malaria Case Management: Monitoring and Evaluation for SBCC
- Guidance for the Prevention of Sexually Transmitted HIV Infections
- Treatment 2015
- Adolescent HIV Testing, Counselling and Care
- Améliorer les résultats pour les hommes tout au long du continuum de traitement du VIH en Côte d'Ivoire-Résumé de l'évaluation du Programme Frères Pour la Vie
- Improving Outcomes for Men Along the HIV Treatment Continuum in Côte d’Ivoire- Summary of the Engaging Men Brothers for Life Program Evaluation
- Campagne Tester Traiter TOT
- Materiaux de Campagne Tester Traiter TOT
- Can You Make an Impact on HIV Testing in West Africa in Just Three Weeks?