A Coordinated Public-Private Sector Response in Liberia to COVID-19
In February 2020, the Healthcare Federation of Liberia (HFL) was officially launched and elected its first governing board. The HFL will provide coordination among all private health stakeholders across Liberia and act as a consolidated voice to advocate for improved quality of care and increased collaboration with the Ministry of Health.
The launch of the federation followed an assessment of Liberia’s private health sector, conducted by the USAID-funded Health Policy Plus project in 2019, which identified the need for a unifying body as a vehicle to improve the private health system. The HFL’s organizational strategy was to focus on strengthening standards within—and accreditation of—private facilities, providing access to business financing and supplies of essential commodities, such as for family planning.
However, on March 16, 2020, Liberia recorded its first COVID-19 case. As of April 10, Liberia has recorded 37 cases and five deaths. The most important task for the HFL in its first month of operation, therefore, became coordinating an effective private sector response to COVID-19. This report tells the story of how Liberia responded to the pandemic.
More Trending Topic Coronavirus COVID-19 Tools resources
- Practical Guidance for Risk Communication and Community Engagement (RCCE) for Refugees, Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs), Migrants, and Host Communities Particularly Vulnerable to COVID-19 Pandemic
- A Guide to WHO’s Guidance on COVID-19
- COVID-19: The Gendered Impacts of the Outbreak
- Religious Leaders Play Key Role in Battle against COVID-19
- Building Trust while Influencing Online COVID-19 Content in the Social Media World
- Guidance for Including People with Disabilities in Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Actions to Support Media, Enhance Access to Information, and Leverage Digital Technologies in the Fight Against the Pandemic
- Malaria Social and Behaviour Change Program Guidance in the Context of COVID-19 Pandemic
- Coronavirus Pandemic: Tracking the Global Outbreak
- Tailoring Malaria Interventions in the COVID-19 Response